Not just environmental harm- Are plastic toothbrushes damaging your teeth?
Brushing your teeth regularly is considered essential for healthy teeth and gums, but dental experts warn us of "toothbrush abrasion”, which is caused by vigorous over-brushing and can lead to sensitive teeth and receding gums.
Vigorous over-brushing can:
- Wear down the enamel on the teeth
- Damage and push back the gums
- Expose the sensitive root area
- Lead to periodontal disease and cavities on the teeth' roots
- Lead to the need for treatments such as fillings, root canals and tooth extraction
According to the Wall Street Journal, dentists estimate that between 10 to 20 per cent of the population have damaged their teeth or gums due to over-brushing!
The people most at risk for tooth or gum damage from over-brushing are:
- People who use medium - or hard-bristled toothbrushes.
- People with a genetic predisposition to receding gums
- People who clench or grind their teeth
- People who had their teeth straightened with braces
How to protect your teeth from harm, as well as support the environment
Use a soft bristle bamboo toothbrush to prevent gum damage and wear on the delicate tooth dentin (the less mineralised layer of a tooth located under the enamel) and the root area.
Change your brushing technique - Brush your teeth thoroughly, not aggressively
Use remineralising natural toothpaste/tooth powder
When you choose to use a bamboo toothbrush, you’re not only supporting your teeth' health, you’re also preventing soil contamination from Micro-plastics originated from the biodegrading of plastic toothbrushes.
We personally support the use of Bamboo Toothbrushes with soft, charcoal-infused bristles (made from Bamboo carbon fibre), that have an organically grown biodegradable handle (naturally free of pesticides and insecticides), like this. It’s capable of doing a great job cleaning your teeth, while also being fully biodegradable.
How to reverse the damage to your teeth?
If you suffer from sensitive teeth, bleeding gums or gingivitis, consider remineralising your teeth with a mineral tooth powder such as BreathLess.
BreathLess toothpowder protects your gums and cleanses your teeth. It helps freshen your breath and whiten your teeth with regular brushing, encourages mouth health, helps reduce bleeding gums, combat plaque and tartar and remineralises teeth with calcium, silica, boron and more.
It has a high alkalinity formula - designed to keep harmful bacteria out of your mouth for an extended period of time.
What people say about BreathLess toothpowder:
- It is easy to use and very economical
- There's a fresh sensation after brushing your teeth
- Stops bleeding gums
- Teeth feel stronger and stopped shifting
- Tartar reduction
- Whiter teeth