The natural sponge that will last you for years with good care
Sustainable Sponges are the only truly ecologically farmed sea sponges in the world. They are grown on organic farms in Pohnpei, Micronesia, by local farmers. Sea sponge farming does not deplete wild sponge populations or damage coral reefs. Sustainable Sponges are 100% natural, and no harsh chemicals are used in farming or their processing.
Sustainable Sponges can be used as:
- A luxurious, sensual bath sponge
- A gentle, soft sponge for bathing babies
- A delicate cosmetic sponge for applying and removing makeup
- An eco-friendly, non-toxic cleaning sponge
- A paint applicator for arts and crafts projects
Why buy a Sustainable Sponge?
- Sustainable Sponges are sustainably grown rather than harvested from wild populations.
- Cuttings are left to grow for around two years before harvesting.
- No chemicals are used in the farming process.
- Sustainable Sponges contain no toxic chemicals.
- Sustainable Sponges are cleaned without using any harsh chemicals.
- Sustainable Sponges are not bleached yellow but are left in their natural colour.
- Sustainable Sponges will last much longer than bleached sponges.
- By purchasing a Sustainable Sponge, you are supporting local communities by promoting sustainable livelihoods and contributing to protecting the environment.
- The sponges are from a certified Trade Aid supplier.
- Sustainable Sponges have natural antibacterial and antifungal properties that prevent the growth of bacteria, mould, and mildew in the sponge without requiring any chemicals.
- Sustainable Sponges are a biodegradable, renewable resource. They are not manufactured from petroleum products.
- Sustainable Sponges are very durable and can be used repeatedly with good care.
How to care for your sponge:
Rinse your sponge in fresh water, squeeze, and leave to air dry. From time to time, a deeper cleaning by soaking in 2 cups of water with 1 Tablespoon of baking soda for 1 hour will enhance the life of your sponge.